Saturday 29 July 2017

My experimental piece

During this session we visited the shed and each picked out a piece of old board from past students experiments and reuse it to create our own. As well as the materials provided I also brought in my own which included; volcanic rock from a previous holiday, candle wax, and a rubbery foam material I had taken from a hanger. The reason I chose the rock was because it was unique and interesting due to it being for a different country as well as the fact that the composition I was creating involved beach vibes where I could include a rough, rocky surface. The candle wax and foam were picked because they are malleable and easily manipulated, although, if I had had more time I would've been able to using them more effectively such as melting the candle wax to create a dripped effect which I have previous used and loved through out my work. 

This was the final out come of my piece:


The top section of the pieces started with a first layer build up of a fragmented manipulated photograph that I had taken and edited myself during a trip to Leicester city centre which was my part of personal input. Then on top of that I applied black acrylic which slowed faded out as it went towards the middle. After this I used a mixture of red and white paint to drizzle over the top using a paint brush which was then faded into a pail yellow to create an ombre effect, the reason I did this is because the colours were inspiration from Scott Naismith's sunset oil paint canvas's. 

It wasn't till analysing and evaluating my piece after wards that I realised the top section had more personal influence than I first though because I compared it to a photograph I had previously took during a weekend away in Wales and this was the out come:


This picture clearly shows the similarities between the gorgeous multi-coloured stones of a Welsh beach and colourful dotted shaped I had created within my piece. This made realise that there can be several different ways to incorporate personal and artist inspiration into one piece or even just one section of a composition. 

Moving on to the middle part, this section was created with my artist Maggi Hambling in mind which is very obvious due to the curvaceous mark making and wave-like movements as well as a white washy surrounds accompanied by a darker centre to secure variety and contrast. This area isn't so personal to me put as the top and bottom are intensely personal, this part is simple the meeting between the both of them and I have used it to create an even balance through out my composition. 

Lastly, the bottom of my piece comes back to showing more personal identity. The reason for this is my use of the volcanic rock that I brought in myself, obviously the reason it represents me is because it is from a very important holiday to Cape Verdi in 2011 where we took a trip from the island we were staying at on a little propeller plane over to a smaller island called Fogo which was a complete village fully built upon a giant Volcano that was said to be safe but only a few years after we had visited this island the volcano erupted in 2014 which destroyed everything they owned and also killing a few villagers so they were left with nothing.
The reason that this is so personal to me is because is we met so many of the villagers, especially children and they were all so lovely and selfless and made us feel as welcome as possible as well as give us gifts even when they had so little themselves. 



As you can see in the first photo they are selling small houses which they had hand made themselves out of volcanic rock so I bought one from them, we also gave them loads of sweets, biscuits and toys which they were so grateful for.



I also have all of this documented in my evidence folder, pinpointing which part of the piece means what:

After we had finished our pieces and analysed them we then put them all up on the wall, each of us were allowed to pick a certain spot that we thought would be suitable to be present our final composition. I chose an area that was quite high up as was situated with a roof window above it, the reason I did this was because due to the sunlight projecting from above it, shadows were created by the large textured areas of my art work which emphasised the different contrasted areas.


The picture below isn't quite the finished product of all our pieces hung up but it just gives an idea of how we all worked well together as a team to create just composition on the wall that included a range of different techniques, colours and textures.




No comments:

Post a Comment