Sunday 16 July 2017


Artist Analysis - Justin Gaffrey

Justin Gaffrey is a contemporary artist and there is massive contrast from his original pieces of work which were flat, untextured and folk styled with Woodie Long being his biggest inspiration, to the almost three dimensional pieces he creates in his newest releases.

Gaffrey was massively interested in how Van Gogh used thousands of tiny brush strokes, built up in layers, in order to create the effect of his work. Gaffrey found that his past experience of being a chef, which consisted of using several different ingredients in order to make a delicious meal, was the best way to relate to Van Gogh’s style of painting.

Starry Night Painting

You can see clearly how Gaffrey’s work relates to this specific composition because it includes several swirly representations of sun like objects similar to the ones in Gaffrey’s work. Although Van Gogh’s paintings consists of much darker tones where as Gaffrey’s pieces contain extremely bright colours on top of each other.
He then took up this inspiration and began painting sunflowers (a well-known feature of his recent work) by using mixed latex house paint with latex caulk and applying it in think stacked layers using a palette knife, to find out more about this specific technique I could begin by experimenting with these materials and analysing the outcomes. This process allowed him to form a heavily textured style. After this he moved on to using thick bodied acrylic paint which he continues to use in his current work.

Not only were other artists and life experience an inspiration to Gaffrey, but also nature and human nature. This leads on to the most prominent meaning behind all of his work; how nature connects all things and creates the passion to make and learn new things/experiences.
Although I am specifically focusing on the scenery pieces of Justin Gaffrey’s work, due to it tying with my other two artists.


All these images above are from the official http://www.justingaffreyoriginals.com/ website but are all untitled.

He also creates amazing animal paintings which I could experiment with myself and I might lead me on to a new, preferred type of art.





                                                Violet Speaks – acrylic 60X48                                              Miss Understood – acrylic 40X30
Two images above are from http://www.justingaffrey.com/work

Here is Gaffrey’s Coastal collection, containing Seascapes, Lakescapes, Waterscapes and waves. All of which feature in my other artist’s work, especially the pieces which involve the sky and sea movements.


I haven’t completed much work on this artist has I found him shortly after the other ones but if I was to start basing my work on him I would begin by really accentuating the texture and making it 3-D. One way I could do this is by building on a painted or photograph background with materials used by my other artists in their sculpture work such as plaster which I could maybe substitute for clay so that it would be easier and cheaper to work with.

During doing research I have come across an ‘organic’ section of his work, the reason I like this style is because the pieces are lot simpler in terms of on figurative item on the page and although they are flat pencil, they all include an area of built up material in order to add depth and contrast. Although these ones don’t involve much colour, which is my main focus with in component one, they are much easier for me to relate to compared to the big paintings as I am familiar with using dry mediums in my work from last year.



http://www.justingaffreyoriginals.com/

Although still life would be an interesting topic to study, a good amount of the animals used with in Justin Gaffrey’s work are birds which can be really difficult to get up close to without disturbing them. I noticed that throughout my research, Gaffrey’s work changes because within his acrylic paintings there is very think bold expressive marks created in bright vivid colours with a curvaceous, loose effect where as his drawings are extremely delicate, precise and intricate with either simple colour or non-at all.








No comments:

Post a Comment