Monday 24 July 2017

My trip to Walsall and Birmingham


During the trip we firstly visited The New Art Gallery in Walsall. This was my personal favourite gallery simply because it involves more up to date, modern art pieces and installation. This was better for me as an artist because I was able to relate to it easier, not only was it more recent but it also contained work similar to the artist work I've been studying for the duration of Component 1. Some of the work that was similar to the artists I study are these pieces;


The artists work that these pieces resemble the most is Scott Naismith, especially the one on the left because it involves a landscape containing a dark surrounding with a flicker of sunset clouds which reflect upon the calm waters.


This one of many of his Paintings that show similarities to the pieces above because it contains the features I have just described previously. I also have some manipulated photography of my own that was created through the inspiration from Scott Naismith therefore it also relates to this gallery piece I have chosen.

This isn't the only piece I found interesting, I also too inspiration from the many in very intricate and intriguing installations such as these ones below.
 The first two compositions above were just a couple amongst a wide collection of similar style, as a combination they are called 'Oracles' with several different artists contributing within different areas.
However the work below is slightly different in it's presentation as I feel like the piece in its self is interesting installation as it's positioning allows you to see all aspects of the creation and ever angle can be a eye opener for a brand new idea or opinion of meaning.


Not only did I focus on the art work, I couldn't help but admire the building its self and its amazing views. I thought it was amazing that they provided a rooftop balcony experience, I felt it made the gallery seems spacious and open and relaxed whilst allowing people to absorb the natural surroundings on offer.



Whilst I was out in the open I also tried to capture some images that would relate well to my artists work, which excluded Maggi Hambling as there wasn't any sea in sight for me to photograph any wave movements, therefore I focused on Justin Gaffrey with the flowers in shot and Scott Naismith with the cloud structures and light movements.

Justin Gaffrey inspired photography (several simple flowers backed with sky)

combination of Justin Gaffrey (flowers and tree tops in foreground) and Scott Naismith (structured cloud layers and light contrasts) inspired photography 
Scott Naismith inspired photography (sky structure with water reflections)

After this trip we visited Birmingham. Which I didn't find as good as the previous gallery therefore there was very few things that I was actually interested in, which include these two compositions;
I thought that this piece above was amazing because it was so unique and I have genuinely never seen anything like it. I loved how the contents of it were so old and eccentric yet it was all cased inside a bright white modern stand which contrasted so well with the deep colours of the composition its self.
This is the other work that caught my eye, mainly because of its complex alienated vibes, given off by the sci-fi like shapes and sparkly material used. What also really intreguied me was the size, the scale of it grabbed my attention to look at it more closely - this made me realise that I need to look into areas of scale myself because in could enhance the quality of my work and it something I haven't really experimented with before.

Although not much of the art work floated my boat, we did take a walk around the town of Birmingham to discover some amazing buildings, even the museum its self.











Although I picked out the photos above as some of my favourites, the one I absolutely love the most is this one below. Because in one shot it shows the progression of building development within this city, with the old structures on the outside and the knew coming straight through the middle.



No comments:

Post a Comment